The Eight Wolfe Bros. & Their Café
In 1937 there was a restaurant on “Bad Alley” in downtown Savannah just off court square where you could buy a hamburger or a hot dog for a nickel and a bowl of soup or chili for 10 cents. Half a bowl of soup or chili was a popular order and was served with fresh crackers, for only a nickel and Cokes were just five cents.
This is where Wolfe’s Café started. One of Savannah’s first restaurants, Wolfe Café was owned and operated by Joe Wolfe and his eight sons’, J.C., Jamie, Archie, Raymond, Robert, Dan, Herman and Frank.
From this small beginning, the Wolfe entrepreneurs went on to monopolize the restaurant business in Hardin County for decades.
Among the Wolfe brothers and their sisters, Mable, Annie and Helen – there were some common denominators. They were friendly, handshaking, back-slapping individuals that treated their customers with respect and friendliness. They used the Wolfe charm, a genuine charm to lure the customers back for more. More pie with meringue several inches thick, more steaks grilled just right, more homemade rolls and hand cut veal cutlets… More of everything.
In 1957 the Wolfe Brothers were highlighted in the Tennessee Restaurant Associations monthly magazine for the “Grade A” restaurant and motel they operated as a family business.
Today, Joe’s Grandson Don Wolfe and his husband Howard Watts carry on the Wolfe tradition of hospitality and home-cooked recipes of the legendary Wolfe’s Café in Savannah, Tennessee.
Good food served in a friendly environment since 1937 — Taste the Wolfe Tradition today.